Parkinsons Disease Forum  

Go Back   Parkinsons Disease Forum > For People With Parkinson's > General Questions About Parkinson's

General Questions About Parkinson's Here is the place if you have any questions or situations you would like help with, and to share any tips and ideas that make living with Parkinson's easier.

Old June 6th, 2017, 07:12 AM

Default Problems With Walking and Balance

My biggest problem is with walking. I often stumble about like a drunk and if my trusty husband was not holding my hand I would most likely fall. Lately my legs (quads) have seemed extremely weak in the AM- almost like a picky feeling too. They seem to be "not working" This seems to be my only symptom and is often best solved by exercising them Sometimes but rarely I have a tremor in my right hand. And I walk very very slowly. I take carbo leva dopa but not sure if it helps that much. I guess my question is does this symptom of balance and walking seem like parkinsons?
Old June 7th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Cherished Member

Default Re: Problems With Walking and Balance

Hi Gayle,
It's nice to hear from you again although I'm sorry to not hear better news from you. I'm afraid the weak legs are a very common complaint for those with Parkinson's. I have my Bobby do stretches before he ever even gets out of bed and this seems to help. Although it doesn't seem sensible I know from experience that walking will help. And what a good excuse to hold your honey's hand too, huh? Exercising was so hard for Bobby in the beginning especially but we have seen how much it has helped. It is not a cure of course but another weapon in your armory against this.
How are things other than this latest battle? How is your husband doing? Hoping to hear from you again soon, Ludie
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:31 AM

Ludiemae
Thanks so much for replying. You gave me some good information. I am a former distancr runner and it's hard to give that up. Up until this past week I was able to get rid of that "picky" weak leg sympton by doing someg exercises given to me in PT but even that is not working now. It's just that I don't have any other symptoms besides the balance and walking issues. I take sinemet three times a day but it doesn't seem to help. Probably going to call my dr today
Old June 14th, 2017, 01:24 PM

Hello, Gayle --
I have had PD for over 20 years now. Sometimes it seems I have always had it! My symptoms, surprisingly, are still mild. Like you, I rarely have a tremor at all, but my balance is impaired enough that I am aware of it daily. Tai chi has helped; I've been practicing it over five years. I can still run (downhill, at least ) for short distances, but I know I'd be pushing my luck if I ran for more than a minute here or there. My last fall was several years ago now, and I believe sinemet has really helped me in maintaining balance. I started taking it after my third fall.

But you are right to consult your doctor. You may need to experiment with dosages of sinemet or with combinations of medications to get the best results. It does seem to me that if the trouble with balance began fairly recently, you should be able to find a treatment that will improve your situation at least for a time. Of course, I add the usual disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and all PD patients have different experiences with this unpredictable disease. But I hope that you can find a solution. There is a lot of trial-and-error work in treating PD.

Best wishes,
J
Old June 14th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Cherished Member

Gayle,
You're welcome and I'm sure it is hard to give the running up. I'm sorry that you have to.
Bobby seems to have better luck with things that are hard for him if he tries them shortly after he takes his meds. But then there are days that nothing does the trick even when he does everything the exact same way.
Have you thought of trying Tai Chi? It is great for improving balance. Bobby and J both do it. Bobby not in a class setting like J and not as advanced but it does help them both I know. And it is recommended for those with Parkinson's.
Hoping your Dr had some suggestions for you that helped, Ludie
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:00 PM

I too have Parkinsonís. I was diagnosed in January 2010. My Parkinsonís is only mild thank goodness but it affects my legs from my knees to my ankles. I have a remedial massager who comes to my home once a week and this does help. I am on Sinemet 100mgs/25 that is Levadopa/Carbidopa. I take one of these every three hours until the last does at 6pm then when ready to go to sleep I take /50 SR to take me through the night I am also on Sifrol which controls my restless legs which I have suffered from for many years. Your doctor is the one that controls your medication and as Ludiemae and J commented everyone is different. I find that the 3hourly Sinemet suits me better. Walking and exercise is the best thing you can do. If you can join a group you will exercise more. We are all on this forum to help one another log in a regularly as you can there is always someone you can talk to from VS Australia